Programs and financial assistance
MU Extension short courses
Beginning farmer loans and grants
- Farm Loan Programs, United State Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency
Information on direct and guaranteed loans for beginning farmers and ranchers
- Beginning Farmer Loan Program, Missouri Department of Agriculture
Loans administered through the Agricultural and Small Business Development Authority
- Financing (Loans/Grants), BeginningFarmers.Org
Loan and grant programs aimed at starting farmers
- NC SARE Farmer Rancher Grant Program
Grants up to $6,000 for one producer or up to $18,000 for 3 producers or more to assist with research or demonstration trials on the farm.
- NC SARE Youth and Youth Educator Grants
These are grants for on-farm research, demonstration, or education projects by youth ages 8-18. Research and demonstration projects are for hands-on efforts to explore sustainable agriculture issues and practices. Education projects can involve teaching others about sustainable agriculture or attending a sustainable agriculture conference, workshop, or camp. $400 maximum.
These are grants for educators to provide programming on sustainable agriculture for youth. $2,000 maximum.
- Small Farm Funding Resources, United State Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Library, Rural Information Center
Developing a business plan, financial and planning resources, funding and program assistance, disaster assistance,
- 2009 Grants for Family Farm Agriculture, Farm Aid
Information on available grants
- Young, Beginning, Small Farmers
FCS Financial is the agricultural cooperative that finances farm and rural enterprise across Missouri, except for southeast Missouri. The cooperative has a beginning farmer loan program that can lend up to $500,000 to an eligible borrower. Most beginning farmer loans are for amounts smaller than $500,000.
- Young, Beginning and Small Farmers Program
Progressive Farm Credit Services for southeast Missouri.
Other financial assistance
MU Extension sources
- Building Sustainable Farms, Ranches and Communities: Federal Programs for Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry, Entrepreneurship, Conservation and Community Development; Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
- Federal Resources for Sustainable Farming and Ranching, ATTRA
- Small Farm Funding Resources, USDA
- Developing Business Proposals for Aquaculture Loans, Southern Region Aquaculture Center (.pdf)
- Resources for Beginning Farmers: Building a Sustainable Future, University of Minnesota
- Financing the Farm Operation, University of Minnesota
- A Farmers Guide to Agricultural Credit, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- How to Finance a Small Farm, University of California-Davis
- Managing Farm Family Finances, Iowa State University (.pdf)